Thursday, September 20, 2007

What Blog?

Because of the "Great China Firewall" I have difficulty accessing the blogs of friends in the States. In fact, some days make it downright impossible to read other peoples' stuff except through a proxy server. So, I lag behind. Then I forget I even have a blog until someone asks me why I haven't posted anything lately. Now I remember.

Let me just sum up recent life here in a few sentences: Students are finally coming around! Classes are actually fun this year (added powerpoint in my classes as well as trying a completely new curriculum with my sophomores). Team is good. Community is good. Our team is doing the Beth Moore study on Daniel, good stuff so far. It's hard to get started on language learning again- very hard. Still don't know my future, but who does, really? It's starting to get cold (and when it does, "warm" doesn't come again until May). I am preparing for my cultural lectures this semester on university life in America, the melting pot theory, new york city, and the effect of 9/11 on our society. I have started going to the local fellowship weekly, as well as loving on new babies and kids at the orphanage. Muslims are observing Ramadan this month and the Chinese will soon be observing Mid-Autumn Day (kind of an equivalent to America's Thanksgiving) and I'm trying to enmesh myself somehow in both (or at least learn more about it from the inside). I miss my family (especially with Dad's birthday next week). I'm looking forward to the October National Day (a week-long break). I have had several opportunities to share the story this week. Life is good.

Now, if any of my sophomore writing students had turned in a paragraph like the one above, I would have given them a very low grade (no transitions, no main topic, random and unorganized, incomplete sentences). :) :) :)
Here's a picture from our first trip back to the orphanage with students last Saturday (let's play "Where's Waldo?")...only some of the older kids are pictured here. :)

No comments: