Wednesday, July 4, 2007

4th of July Party in China! (updated)

I'm throwing a 4th of July party for my Chinese friends tomorrow night (cuz, technically it's still 4th of July in America). We're going to have games (a red, white, and blue costume contest to name one) and history trivia (there's the history major in me) and let off fireworks (I'll just ask the four year old down the street to help as he has probably more experience than me with fireworks as that is a common site around these here parts), teach all the patriotic songs I know and maybe I can get them do a little parade around the block (you think that might get me kicked out of the country?)...right here in China. Maybe even red and blue Koolaid! We'll even invite the Brits! :)

The big trick will be trying to put all this together without mentioning one iota of politics or the motivation behind the Declaration of Independence. Hmm...

Yeah, the more I plan this, the more I realize that I might be stepping on toes...
but, teaching American culture, why not?

Sweet! :)

Update: okay, so they weren't as excited as I was :), but they learned something! The winner of the trivia contest got a free meal at McDonalds. I even managed to sing the "Star Spangled Banner." Francis Scott Key sure wrote a hard one! :) :) They loved learning to sing "Yankee Doodle" (ask any American and I bet nobody knows the meaning of the song...so I looked it up on the internet- apparently, it was a song written by the British to make fun of the Colonial soldiers, but when America won the war they took the song and made it their own :)). Happy 4th of July everyone! :)

No comments: