Tuesday, July 10, 2007

In Memory of Grandma Mary

My great grandmother died last night. She was 94 years old. She outlived her husband (my great-grandfather) by 14 years and her son (my grandfather) by two. We were beginning to think she would outlive an entire generation. :) She lived through two World Wars, had three sons, six grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren (the oldest being me at 27!). I wish I had taken more time to sit down with her and ask her to tell her stories. These are the kind of stories we need to pass on. Grandma Mary was an excellent cook with a great southern heritage. I remember as a child growing up to the smell of hotcakes and molasses in Grandma's kitchen. Peppermint candy never ran out. :) She was content to stay in her little house in the small town of Rockingham, North Carolina for decades. She was the anchor for our family for, well as long as she has created this family. They think she died simply of old age, which is a trait I hope to inherit from her. :). Maybe after looking back at her life that evening she sighed and said to herself, "I'm tired, I think I'll go to sleep now" and quietly slipped into the arms of her Lord who welcomed her by saying, "well done, good and faithful one, welcome home!". At least that's the way I like to think about her passing from this world into the next. :)
Amazing woman, really. :) Her husband was an alcoholic, not an easy life, and it became a common occurrence to haul him out of jail on Saturday nights. And then on Sunday mornings she made sure she had her three young boys at church. (please realize that I loved my great-grandfather dearly- I cried buckets of tears at his funeral when I was 11 years old- Great Grandpa embraced Forgiveness and the Faith in his later years and found real joy and peace and is probably dancing with Grandma on the golden streets today-- which is further evidence of a magnificent God). She raised her family with a clear sense of morality that is often lost on this generation. But in the end, well, to her, family was family. Not always what we would choose, but we've all we've got :). She will be remembered as one who loved her family and loved her God.
We are sad to lose such a wonderful matriarch, but are grateful that she lived such a long life and left a legacy. We are happy to know that she now has a new brand new body dancing with her Jesus in heaven. I only hope I can live up to be an ounce of the woman that she was. We love you Grandma Mary!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow michelle - it sounds like your great grandmother was a wonderful lady. i will be thinking about you!

suz said...

Hey Chelle - My sympathy to you in the pain that comes from your GG's exit from this world, but rejoicing with you at her entrance into the presence of our great and glorious King. Thanks for sharing this beautiful tribute!