Saturday, April 7, 2007

She Said YES!!!


My brother proposed to his girlfriend last night! And she said YES! Richey had been planning this thing for months. I got to see the ring when I was home for Christmas and it is BEAUTIFUL! Ashley is beautiful, too :)

Want to hear the story? If you're a girl I know that's a really stupid question because of course you want to hear the story!!! And guys, you really really want to hear the story too, but you don't want to admit it. :) :). Well, both of our families have been friends for years-- our dads even went to high school together back in the day. It just took a little more time for Richey and Ashley to get together because she is a few years younger and during summers in North Carolina as kids our paths never crossed. Richey and Ashley met, ironically, at my grandfather's funeral in the summer of 2005. :) :) At the wake (which was more of a celebration of his life than anything- I've never seen my grandmother have so much fun catching up with people from years past) people were going through the line and here comes Ashley and her twin brother, Tray. Richey was immediately taken with how beautiful she looked and in attempt at conversation Ashley asked Richey if he was still in high school and Richey just looked at her dumbfounded and said, "I'm 23!" :) :) And so it began. Of course, he had to wait for her to break up with her boyfriend first :) :). When it happened, our dad really pushed Richey to ask this girl out before it was too late. Richey, however, wanted to give her time. :) :) :) He was uncharacteristically shy. He'd gotten his heart broken a few times before. They were friends first and then started dating the next spring. Richey has made a lot of dumb decisions in his life (we all have), but the best decision he ever made was Ashley. He is a better person because of her. So, needless to say, we REALLY like Ashley.

So, this Easter weekend both of our families took a vacation to Atlantic Beach, NC together (with the exception of me and her twin brother, Tray). The bummer part was that the temperature dropped this weekend to the 30s instead of the usual 70s, but, they'd just have to work around that. Richey and Ashley spent the whole day together and in the evening they took a walk on the beach at sunset. When they got back to the nicely decorated dock there was a large candle burning (it took my family half an hour to light the thing because the wind kept blowing it out! stubborn candle!) and my brother sang a song that he wrote for her, then asked her to marry him! When he called me here in China-- I was so excited last night that I couldn't sleep-- I asked him if she said yes. Richey says, "Yes she said YES!" (Of course!). Earlier that day he had to blow her off because she was getting suspicious about his fishy behavior and told her it just wasn't happening this weekend, which made her mad :) :) :). He felt bad, but it worked for the time being. :) :) At dinner she was cutting mangoes and Richey kept murmuring, "please don't cut that finger, please don't cut that finger." :) :) :) And the best part-- they got the whole thing on video!

My younger brother is getting married! I am so excited about knowing Ashley as my future sister-in-law! Wedding date will probably be set in the Spring of 2008. :)




No comments: