Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Sunday is really Monday

I don't think I'm going to win popularity points this week with my students. But, alas, this is where the personal and the professional separate themselves :) In addition to their infamous T.E.M. 4 exam (Test of English Majors) they have to take this weekend--a nasty little sucker that I'm not even sure I could pass-- I'm also giving them MIDTERMS next week. I used to hate teachers like me.
The May Holiday (a week-long Labor Day "vacation" when you actually have to make up the classes you've been given a vacation from) is coming up, which throws everyone's syllabus and lesson plans into awry, especially when they do not know the actual days of the holiday will be. We Americans like to be prepared, right, especially when it comes to vacation plans? Such is our downfall. The holiday is the first week of May, but we end up having to make up classes on the Saturday and Sunday before (or after) the first week (in addition to the regular week)- and what if the first day of May falls on a Tuesday? What then? Are my Monday freshmen going to be behind my Tuesday freshmen, or if I give my midterm to my Tuesday sophomores on the make up day, what's going to happen with my Thursday sophomores? And do we make up Tuesday and Wednesday classes or only Thursday and Friday classes? Do we have to teach Friday classes on the Sunday before or after the holiday? Yeah, now you get the confusion. The other day we were told that we had to tell the school our plans and itinerary for May holiday by the end of the week (which would have been the 16th) and then proceeded to tell us in the same announcement that the school would decide the dates of the holiday on the 20th. So...?

Just tell me where I need to be and where. After the chaos of traveling during the last holiday, I'm going to stay put and finish that LAST Wheaton paper. (I'll tell you by the end of the week if it actually happens)

Oh and we just received the plan: Friday is Friday, Saturday is Friday, Sunday is Monday, Monday is Monday and Tuesday-Tuesday is the holiday. Or is it Monday? Oh yeah, that makes so much better sense!??
And I smile :) :) Welcome to my world. :) :) :)

No comments: